Saturday 21 June 2008

Why I feel better about the future

I've been feeling skeptical about the future lately. Terrorism, global warming, rising food prices, and tensions in the middle east all add to a recipe that pose plenty of questions over our future. It seems that no matter what I read or watch the future doesn't look great. But last night I was given justification to hope for the future. And my hopes lie in a group of young people who, in the not too distant future will, I hope, become our next leaders.

These new leaders will come from those who are still in school, people such as the uni friends I enjoyed drinks with last night. They're articulate, respectful, environmentally aware, and open-minded; a far cry from some of the narrow-minded, self-interested people running the country at the moment. They're not full of their own importance but are concerned for those around them. They know how to enjoy themselves, how to have an intelligent conversation, and how to be compassionate human beings.

Quite simply they're an inspiration. Let the future begin.

No comments: