Tuesday 19 June 2007

Fear

Someone close to me just sent me an email that was short and abrupt and badly thought out. Although I'm confident that the email wasn't intended to cause offense, it was obviously written while this person was upset and aggravated about something over which they had no control. It's often when we are confused, fearful, or angry that we behave in ways that are out of character.

The lesson for me is to never send an email in anger. Doing so rarely works out for the good. Sure, write it, type it, then save it and come back to it a day or two later. Let at least one night's sleep pass before pressing the send button. At least by then the heart rate has dropped, most of the symptoms of anger have faded, and what is sent is a reflection of our true values and some thoughtful consideration.

I for one will be leaving this email alone for a day or two, and then I might have a coffee with my friend to work out what's really at issue. Two angry people don't make for a calm world.

No comments: