Friday 22 June 2007

Being strong and letting go

The landlord at our business is making demands that I believe are unreasonable. Whilst they may be technically correct - possibly - it still doesn't make what they are asking for fair. So at what point do we stop fighting for what is fair and concede to their requests in order to achieve peace? This has always been a delicate balancing act for me. How far do I go to protect my own interests and where do I concede in order to move on?

The answer probably lies in what is a win for both of us. As a corporation, the landlord probably has little in the way of social conscience and a sense of what's fair and reasonable. So it's important for me to have an understanding of what's a win for us and to be clear on that. I sense that it's a moral victory that I'm trying to achieve - a kind of "I won't let the school bully order me around." If this is the case then it's probably better to look at the bigger picture. What are the downsides to a victory of this kind? What other ways could this conflict be imagined?

This is one of those nights I'll go to bed with a little uncertainty, but over the next day or so things will become clearer.

No comments: