Friday 25 April 2008

ANZAC day dawn service

Is our society going soft or am I becoming a grumpy old man?

It was great to see such a large turn out at the dawn service this morning. Men, women, old, young, all sorts of nationalities, all shapes and sizes. Each made their way along Fraser Avenue, across the grass, by bike or by foot, each with the goal of commemorating the spirit of the ANZAC. War is an ugly, ugly beast and no right-minded person wants its experience. But to yearn for peace is not enough. We, each of us, must be willing to fight for it, defend our right to it, to do what we can to keep it. Peace requires effort - and courage, sacrifice, determination.

So why is it that so many make the effort to attend the dawn service, then spend the time whispering and fidgeting, as if they can't bear the silence and the stillness. Why is it they can't stand to attention (well at least standing still would be a start) in silence while wreaths are laid? Why do they need to kiss and cuddle while old diggers shed silent tears for fallen mates? Why can't they make that tiny sacrifice for just a few short minutes.

Maybe I'm hard, or harsh, or overly critical. Maybe I should just be more grateful that so many made the effort to turn up at all. Maybe I was looking through eyes that could see my own softness reflected in those moments of inattention. Maybe war is just so sad.

Whatever the case I hope to never experience war. I hope for a world where wars are won through words and smiles. I hope for a day when peace is dominates the news. I hope for a place where all can enjoy abundance not a privileged few.

So thanks to all those who turned up to the dawn service. You make Australia what it is.

No comments: